[LEDE-DEV] Building infrastructure (Was: trying to cover costs on my bit of the build cluster)

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Sun Jul 10 10:00:39 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 02:53:21PM +0300, Alexandru Ardelean wrote:
> Would it be an idea to spin-up the builders on a as-needed basis ?
> Is that something that's already done ?

To add on this point: it could indeed be a cost-effective solution for
building releases.

For instance, a "largish" VM (16 cores, 8 GB RAM, 2 TB disk) costs only
0.30€ an hour at Gandi.  I guess the price of other cloud providers is in
the same order of magnitude.

Of course, this would be prohibitively expensive to keep on a permanent
basis (~200 € / month).  So, it doesn't seem like a good idea for
buildbots/CI, only for releases.

Baptiste