[LEDE-DEV] Target Profile removed from image name?

Donald Chisholm donald.chisholm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 10:11:25 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I have several hundred nodes running Openwrt CC with batman-adv and
thought I would start testing LEDE.  However, after the build I
noticed you have removed the target profile (i.e. tl-841v11) from the
image file name.  For me this is a huge headache.  I also noticed you
have uncoupled the build option for different hardware versions of
device models.  This is an inconvenience but not a huge problem.

I build and distribute firmware updates for multiple device models.
With Openwrt I build for several different models (and versions) and
use a script that distributes the new firmware based on the firmware
file name matches against a table of appropriate nodes.   Of course
this is not possible if the firmware file names are all the same.  As
it is now, I need to build and rename for each device model and
version.

Can you clarify why this information was removed from the image file
name?  Is it reasonable to put it back or include it in the directory
structure so consecutive builds do not clobber previous images in the
bin directory?

Thanks for reading,
Donald