[LEDE-DEV] Adding new targets/subtargets

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Wed Dec 28 18:04:05 PST 2016

I wanted to add a new target for x86, or possibly several.

I have an immediate need for an optimized build to run on Xeon-based 1U servers for a project that I’m working on.  My work in progress is here:

https://github.com/pprindeville/openwrt/commit/67a11380ed69351e320a410ec18c04e62fb548d3

but I’m not clear on what ARCH_PACKAGES is or when it’s used… or why only target/linux/x86/ seems to use it.

Looked on the Wiki but there doesn’t seem to be a blow-by-blow decomposition of what a target directory looks like.

Also, I wanted to build targets with virtio drivers (net and scsi) for running on Parallels or KVM/Qemu… so that none-platform stuff could be tested, possibly in an automated testing environment.

Is there any unofficial documentation (i.e. not on the wiki) about how to go about adding platforms?

There’s a wiki entry on “adding a new device” but doesn’t seem to be applicable to what I’m doing.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,

-Philip