[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] Talks between OpenWrt and LEDE

James Feeney james at nurealm.net
Thu Dec 22 12:55:10 PST 2016

On 12/22/2016 12:27 AM, John Crispin wrote:
> or do we want to build a "one stop shop" for embedded linux

Yes, we do?

When I read that, my gut reaction was "Oh yeah - embedded linux."

I remember, when I first heard about "LEDE", as distinct from OpenWRT, I was
attracted to the broader focus on "embedded linux", in contrast to the "wireless
router" focus implied by "OpenWRT".  That promise of embedded device support is
still my mental rationalization for choosing LEDE over OpenWRT.

There is something to be said for the "evolved" branding of the LEDE name.  How
important is this focus on "embedded linux", which implies a linux distribution
that runs, additionally, on devices that are *not* wireless routers?  There are
a great number of single-board computers that exist now that did not exist when
OpenWRT was first released in 2004.

The original WRT54G was first released in December 2002.
The first generation (Raspberry Pi 1 Model B) was released in February 2012.

Consider:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers

Does LEDE have builds for all of these products?

I imagine that the stable/bleeding-edge issue might be addressed in the same way
as other projects which have designated "long term support" versions.

Just for fun:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lede

James