[LEDE-DEV] RFC: splitting up the patches folder

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 11:21:05 PST 2016

Hallo,

On 12/20/2016 12:53 PM, John Crispin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have been thinking of how to split up the kernel patches folder in a
> better way. for a start we have all the backports inside the same folder
> as our normal patches, unfortunately we have some backports and patches
> that have in the meantime been sent upstream not numbered as 0xx-*.patch.
>
> i was thinking that we could add a backports-4.4 which would hold all
> the backported patches.
>
> we could then split up the remaining patches into those that still need
> to be sent upstream and those that we wont be able to send upstream. the
> order in which we apply them would then be
>
> * backports
> * pending patches
> * lede patches

Seems like a good directory structure proposal. How about having the
patches also contain some additional metadata like:

Upstream-status: pending|submitted|accepted|not relevant
Kernel version: 4.8 (if accepted)

Kind of what Yocto/OE does with their patches so people know if they can
help with the submission process of the patches?
--
Florian