[LEDE-DEV] [LEDE-DEV, 3/3, v3] uqmi: Prevent 'POLICY MISMATCH' error.

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Dec 8 07:11:18 PST 2016

Petr Štetiar <ynezz at true.cz> writes:

> Matti Laakso <malaakso at elisanet.fi> [2016-12-08 15:39:57]:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I don't like the autoconnect at all, it being so unpredictable across
>> various models.
>
> This autoconnect feature should burn in hell :-) The funny thing about this
> feature is, that the behaviour is network specific[1] also.
>
> I still can't find some time to dig more into this, like read the QMI docs
> etc., but I'm still wondering how this could be possible. Maybe this
> autoconnect setting is somehow transfered towards to the other end in network
> operator's infrastructure?
>
> Bjørn, any idea? :-)

Closed source firmware does all sort of weird and unexpected stuff.
That's why we use OpenWrt/LEDE on the routers, after all :)

I don't think we can trust the modem firmware with complex features like
autoconnect. There are too many things that can go wrong.  And we don't
have any way to debug or fix any of those issues when they.happen inside
the modem firmware "black box".  How do you tell the difference between
autoconnect failed due to wrong APN from autoconnect failed due to low
signal, for example?

IMHO, we should depend on as few as possible of the most basic modem
firmware features.  Any complex features like autoconnect can and should
be implemented as services running on the host, using those basic
features as building blocks.

Bjørn