[LEDE-DEV] ubi-auto-create-ubiblock-device-for-rootfs and mtd-qcom-smem-rename-rootfs-ubi patches not working for me

J Mo jmomo at jmomo.net
Wed Aug 31 19:23:43 PDT 2016

Hi everyone

I know there was recently some traffic on the list here about UBI and
mounting rootfs. I caught some of it, but not all of it. Please pardon
me if these are already known issues or this doesn't add anything useful
to the conversation.

I am working on getting the TRENDnet TEW-827DRU booting LEDE. The device
uses the ipq8064 SoC and NAND flash with a UBI (kernel + squashfs-rootfs
+ ubifs-overlay). The bootloader is u-boot and while it *might* be
possible to modify the u-boot parameters (bootcmd= and bootargs=), I am
currently working on the assumption that I have to ignore them.

Another oddity/problem with my device is that the NAND smem partition
table has the UBI partition named "rootfs". There is also a patch
related to this, but it also does not seem to be working
(302-mtd-qcom-smem-rename-rootfs-ubi.patch).

Currently I am putting my kernel arguments into the DTS as my bootargs.
It looks like this:

bootargs = "console=ttyMSM0,115200n8 ubi.mtd=11 ubi.block=0,1
root=/dev/ubiblock0_1 rootfstype=squashfs";

If I don't include the ubi-related commands, the kernel doesn't even
mount the UBI and fails to boot. I get the feeling that some of the
patches which should auto-mount that UBI are not working for me.

I am getting this error, even when my system successfully boots:

UBI error: block: can't add 'rootfs' volume, err=-17

Which seems to be coming from
491-ubi-auto-create-ubiblock-device-for-rootfs.patch

Should I bug these? Already known issues? Comments?

Thanks