[LEDE-DEV] mission impossible!! add ubifs

Kenneth Johansson kenneth at southpole.se
Tue Aug 23 03:04:07 PDT 2016

On 2016-08-23 11:40, Daniel Golle wrote:
>>> There are already devices using UBI on MT7621, just no method to flash
>>> UBI using the 'factory'/stock method due to lacking UBI support in
>>> the vendor-supplied U-Boot. UBI support is enabled on targets by
>>> setting the 'nand' feature, see target/linux/ramips/mt7621/target.mk
>>> You may also have a look at
>> So I did a fresh clone. configured for mt7621. added this patch to be able
>> to select ubi image generation.
> You will need to add 'ubifs' to target/linux/ramips/mt7621/target.mk
> rather than target/linux/ramips/Makefile.
> You also need to specify the device-specific parameters which are
> passed to mkfs.ubifs, e.g. something like
> UBIFS_OPTS = -m 2048 -e 124KiB -c 4096
>
> Making a mystery out of what you are trying to achieve doesn't help.
> Especially not if I got the subtle feeling that you are trying to do
> it in a very wrong way -- in the end, you are paid to build some
> firmware for a device we'll later on have to live with and cope with
> your image-building hacks. I know, uniqueness and originality are high
> values in contemporary society. However, nobody is going to appreciate
> very unique firmware image formats (unless you are selling security by
> obscurity).
hmm ???

>   Especially, please have a look at how it works for the
> many other devices which use NAND flash and thus UBI(FS). It's really
> not that different from what you want to do, I guess (but don't know,
> because you are not telling anyone what you are trying to do).
well I thought I said exactly what I wanted. I want a ubifs image. not a
ubi image so ubinizer is not to be run on it.
I want the kernel uImage in /boot and I want the DTB in/boot.

that is all. there is no magic strange format its just a filesystem in a
ubifs image.

> So please have a look at ipq806x, lantiq and oxnas image building and
> sysupgrade script, all you are looking for can be found there.

But the issue is that I want to modify the mt7621. it feels like it
should be really easy thing to do. And looking on other board is
obviously the first thing I did. Still I have not managed to figure out
what variable to set or what function to override.

But I can always just nuke the entire thing and make a complete new
target. then I do not have to adopt anything to how it works right now.
It's shame the build system is so abstracted that its no longer possible
to understand.