LPC 2026: Live update BoF?

Pratyush Yadav pratyush at kernel.org
Fri Sep 25 09:49:46 PDT 2026


Hi all,

We have had some discussions recently about the scope of the KHO/LUO ABI
and what kind of backwards and forwards compatibility we should support.
The two main threads that I have seen are [0] and [1]. I have also been
in various 1:1 discussions about this with many people, and I have seen
all sorts of varying opinions.

While Logan has a talk about live update versioning on the Live Update
MC [2], it is a 20 minute slot and I am not sure we will have enough
time to fully flesh out the discussion. I am also not sure what exactly
Logan plans to talk about, but from reading the abstract, it seems to be
around the mechanics of handling multiple versions. So perhaps we should
keep Logan's talk about the mechanics, and we can discuss the policy
around ABI stability separately?

So I propose that we schedule a Live Update BoF. The main topic will be
around ABI stability, but if time permits, we can have secondary topics
too.

I see two open BoF slots:

  1. Monday between 12:00 and 13:30. This overlaps eBPF, Refereed,
     Toolchains, Device and Specific Purpose Memory, Safe Systems MC,
     Android MC, Monitoring and Observability MC, and DRM Rust Workshop.

     I think this slot is great because I think none of the overlaps are
     major conflicts with this interest group.

  2. Wednesday between 15:00 and 15:45. This overlaps with Networking,
     Live Patching MC, Confidential Computing MC, sched_ext MC, and Driver
     Core MC.

     This slot is not as good I think because I reckon KVM folks might
     be interested in the Confidential Compute MC.

So I propose we have the Live Update BoF on Monday between 12:00 and
13:00. The BoF slots are first-come-first-serve, so I'd like to book it
soon-ish.

Thoughts?

[0] https://lore.kernel.org/kexec/2vxzik5f311e.fsf@kernel.org/#r
[1] https://lore.kernel.org/kexec/20260904160009.GV4157646@nvidia.com/#r
[2] https://lpc.events/event/20/contributions/2613/

-- 
Regards,
Pratyush Yadav



More information about the kexec mailing list