[RFC V2] IMA Log Snapshotting Design Proposal

Stefan Berger stefanb at linux.ibm.com
Mon Nov 13 10:59:46 PST 2023

On 10/19/23 14:49, Tushar Sugandhi wrote:
> | Introduction                                                        |
> This document provides a detailed overview of the proposed Kernel
> feature IMA log snapshotting.  It describes the motivation behind the
> proposal, the problem to be solved, a detailed solution design with
> examples, and describes the changes to be made in the clients/services
> which are part of remote-attestation system.  This is the 2nd version
> of the proposal.  The first version is present here[1].
>
> Table of Contents:
> ------------------
> A. Motivation and Background
> B. Goals and Non-Goals
>      B.1 Goals
>      B.2 Non-Goals
> C. Proposed Solution
>      C.1 Solution Summary
>      C.2 High-level Work-flow
> D. Detailed Design
>      D.1 Snapshot Aggregate Event
>      D.2 Snapshot Triggering Mechanism
>      D.3 Choosing A Persistent Storage Location For Snapshots
>      D.4 Remote-Attestation Client/Service-side Changes
>          D.4.a Client-side Changes
>          D.4.b Service-side Changes
> E. Example Walk-through
> F. Other Design Considerations
> G. References

Userspace applications will have to know
a) where are the shard files?
b) how do I read the shard files while locking out the producer of the
shard files?

IMO, this will require a well known config file and a locking method
(flock) so that user space applications can work together in this new
environment. The lock could be defined in the config file or just be the
config file itself.