[RFC] IMA Log Snapshotting Design Proposal

Tue Aug 8 11:26:51 PDT 2023

On Tue, 2023-08-08 at 09:31 -0400, Stefan Berger wrote:

> On 8/8/23 08:35, James Bottomley wrote:

> > > The truncation seems dangerous to me. Maybe not all the scenarios
> > > with an attestation client (client = reading logs and quoting)
> > > are possible then anymore, such as starting an attestation client
> > > only after truncation but a verifier must have witnessed the
> > > system's PCRs and log state before the truncation occurred.
> >
> > That's not exactly correct.  Nothing needs to have "witnessed" the
> > starting PCR value because the quote vouches for it (and can vouch
> > for it after the fact).  The only thing you need to verify the
> > quote is the attestation key and the only thing you need to do to
> > trust the attestation key is ensure it was TPM created.  All of
> > that can be verified after the fact as well.  The only thing that
> > can be done to disrupt this is to destroy the TPM (or re-own it).>
> > Remember the assumption is you *also* have the removed log shard to
> > present.  From that the PCR state of the starting quote can be
>
> Yes, the whole sequence of old logs needs to be available.

Yes and no.  If the person relying on the logs is happy they've
extracted all the evidentiary value from the log itself then they can
reduce the preceding log shard to simply the PCR values that match the
quote and discard the rest.

>  IF that's the case and the logs can be stitched together seamlessly,
> who then looks at the kernel AK quote and under what circumstances?

For incremental attestation.  Each log shard can be verified using the
base PCR values corresponding to the bottom quote then replayed and the
top quote verified.  This means that logs that aren't needed anymore
can be discarded, which, I recall, was the base reason for this
proposal: reducing IMA memory consumption.  Although all you need to do
is extract the shards from kernel memory to file space and free the
kernel memory.  Since that scheme can keep all logs intact, there's no
reason to further reduce them unless the filesystem is running out of
space.

James