[RFC] makedumpfile: exclude ZFS file cache pages

Donald Brady don.brady at delphix.com
Fri Jul 19 12:43:49 PDT 2019

Hello,

I have for consideration a makedumpfile patch that can exclude the ZFS
file data cache pages. This is similar in capability as the exclusion
of the VFS page cache pages.

My question to this list is how to proceed?  Should I post a patch or
should I first explain how the ZFS pages are being marked and see if
others here can recommend a better approach?

Long term, ZFS should participate in the VFS page cache. However, that
is a significant change and won't be available in the foreseeable
future. There is an immediate benefit from excluding ZFS file cache
pages that will benefit crash dump users that use ZFS.

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Don

--
DON BRADY