[Query] ARM64 kaslr support - randomness, seeding and kdump

AKASHI Takahiro takahiro.akashi at linaro.org
Tue Mar 13 23:40:04 PDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 10:33:03AM +0530, Bhupesh Sharma wrote:
> [...]
> >> if can have two approaches to enable physical randomization:
> >
> > I believe that you're now talking about "virtual" randomization.
> >
> >> - Implement a UEFI stub for loading the kexec kernel as well, or
> >>
> >> - Extend the 'kexec-tools' to invoke the entropy source available in
> >> the primary kernel (provided by the firmware via EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL)  to
> >> generate a random seed to randomize the physical address and populate
> >> it in the '/chosen/kaslr-seed' property of the device-tree being
> >> passed to the secondary/kexec kernel and let the normal code flow in
> >> ' arch/arm64/kernel/kaslr.c', function 'kaslr_early_init' to get the
> >> seed for the secondary kernel from the '/chosen/kaslr-seed' property
> >> itself.
> >>
> >> Personally the later approach looks simpler to me from a implementation p-o-v.
> >
> > If kaslr-seed has a critical value in terms of security, is kexec-tools
> > a right place? It is exposed to user space albeit for a short time of period.
>
> But doesn't this problem exist in the arm64 kexec design already for
> kexec_load() case?
> Since it relies on sending a dtb (updated with the
> 'linux,usable-memory') property to the secondary/kexec kernel, we can
> easily introduce a security vulnerability in the system by expanding
> the dtb to include a static value for '/chosen/kaslr-seed'.
>
> Consider the following scenario (which I tried yesterday on my arm64
> board just out of curiosity):
>
> 1. Primary kernel and secondary kernel both are compiled with kaslr
> flags (CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE)
>
> 2. Primary kernel is loaded at random physical address on the basis of
> the '/chosen/kaslr-seed' property.
>
> 3. Thereafter this property is memset to 0.
>
> 4. Now we call 'kexec -l + kexec -e' combination to warm boot to a
> secondary/kexec kernel.
>
> 5. Since 'kexec-tools' picks up the existing dtb with
> '/chosen/kaslr-seed' set to 0, it passes the same to the
> secondary/kexec kernel.
>
> 6. Instead if we have a vulnerable 'kexec-tools' user space
> application, which unpacks the dtb and sets the '/chosen/kaslr-seed'
> to a known static non-zero value.
>
> 7. Now the secondary/kexec kernel is invoked and the
> 'kaslr_early_init()' finds a valid, non-zero '/chosen/kaslr-seed' and
> uses it to calculate the offsets for randomizing the linear region and
> randomizing the base of the module region. Since the seed was a known
> static value, determining the randomized bases of the above regions is
> always possible.
>
> So, I am not sure the existing 'kexec-tools' design can protect us
> from such security vulnerabilities anyway as we rely on passing the
> dtb to the secondary kernel for arm64 kexec to work.
>
> What I was suggesting in the previous mail was that instead of passing
> a zero '/chosen/kaslr-seed' to the secondary/kexec kernel (which
> effectively leads to a *nokaslr* behaviour), we can do the right thing
> by using a entropy source (if available) to generate a random seed.

I will comment on those later if any.

> > (Speaking of kexec_file, we can easily adopt this approach as fdt modification
> > is done totally inside the kernel. Likewise, "physical" randomization would be
> > easy in part of arm64_relocate_new_kernel() because we only have to care bit 3
> > of boot header's flags after Mark's comment.)
>
> I think we need to handle both the kexec_load() and kexec_file_load()
> cases transparently as the user may invoke either of them.
>
> Just for my understanding - in the arm64  kexec_file_load() case we
> don't pass the modified dtb via user-space to the secondary kernel.
> Right (sorry I still haven't looked at the latest kexec_file_load()
> patches yet)?

Correct.
In kexec_file case, the 1st kernel is responsible for preparing
dtb for 2nd kernel by duplicating the current one and modifying
it if necessary.
As such, kexec_file hardly relies on kexec-tools.
(You know kexec-tools sources have not been well reviewed by anyone.)

Thanks,
-Takahiro AKASHI