[Query] ARM64 kaslr support - randomness, seeding and kdump

AKASHI Takahiro takahiro.akashi at linaro.org
Tue Mar 13 19:10:53 PDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 01:18:47AM +0530, Bhupesh Sharma wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Mark Rutland <mark.rutland at arm.com> wrote:

> Sorry if my earlier email was not clear on this, but I meant both the
> kdump/kexec cases.
>
> While for kdump there is no current requirement for physical
> randomization, for kexec it would be good to support the same as the
> primary kernel was already supporting kaslr and the secondary kernel
> (if compiled with CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE) would randomizes the virtual
> address at which the kernel image is loaded.
>
> If we have physical randomization supported in this case in the
> secondary/kexec kernel we can avoid potential misuse related to the
> physical address being known at which the secondary/kexec kernel is
> loaded.

> >> So, by definition, is randomness, if we say so, in physical address not
> >> part of KASLR?
> >
> > Physical randomization is not part of the kernel's KASLR implementation.
> >
> > We happen to do it in the EFI stub, because we can in that context. But
> > generally, physical randomization is not part of arm64's in-kernel
> > KASLR.
> >
> > For various reasons, the physical address that the kernel is loaded to
> > may be arbitrary, so we have to cope with physical randomization
> > regardless.
>
> Indeed, since the primary kernel depends on the  firmware's
> EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL implementation (if available) to randomise the
> physical location of the kernel Image, for the secondary/kexec kernel,
> if can have two approaches to enable physical randomization:

I believe that you're now talking about "virtual" randomization.

> - Implement a UEFI stub for loading the kexec kernel as well, or
>
> - Extend the 'kexec-tools' to invoke the entropy source available in
> the primary kernel (provided by the firmware via EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL)  to
> generate a random seed to randomize the physical address and populate
> it in the '/chosen/kaslr-seed' property of the device-tree being
> passed to the secondary/kexec kernel and let the normal code flow in
> ' arch/arm64/kernel/kaslr.c', function 'kaslr_early_init' to get the
> seed for the secondary kernel from the '/chosen/kaslr-seed' property
> itself.
>
> Personally the later approach looks simpler to me from a implementation p-o-v.

If kaslr-seed has a critical value in terms of security, is kexec-tools
a right place? It is exposed to user space albeit for a short time of period.

(Speaking of kexec_file, we can easily adopt this approach as fdt modification
is done totally inside the kernel. Likewise, "physical" randomization would be
easy in part of arm64_relocate_new_kernel() because we only have to care bit 3
of boot header's flags after Mark's comment.)

-Takahiro AKASHI