kdump on VFAT?

Dave Young dyoung at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 21:08:32 PDT 2018

Chris, if this is specific to Fedora, there is another list for the
topic:kexec at lists.fedoraproject.org

On 06/27/18 at 09:17am, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Buried in this Fedora thread on the BootLoaderSpec, is the discussion on the
> technical merit (or not) of using VFAT for /boot which is currently
> where kdump drops the vmcore dumpfiles. So I'm wondering if
> there are any developer concerns about dumps going to VFAT and also if
> a viable work around is putting crash dumps in /var instead?

Fedora kdump drop initramfs in /boot, but the vmcore be saved in
/var/crash by default

> For reference, BootLoaderSpec in effect requires VFAT for $BOOT which
> would contain bootloader configuration, kernel, initramfs, and would
> be mounted at /boot

One can configure kdump to save vmcore in /boot,  but if using VFAT I
believe there is a 2G max file size limitation that may be not enough for
big memory machine.

> Fedora thread to make BootLoaderSpec default in Fedora 29 (note that
> really this feature only implements BootLoaderSpec file format for
> bootloader configuration; not the full spec that includes the VFAT
> requirement - that's still under discussion).
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/CTKJBECHWEVF5IN6FO5TV7SIYWIMKYRT/
>

> BootLoaderSpec
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/doc/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION.md

Thanks for sharing. Interesting idea, hmm, it belongs to systemd..

Thanks
Dave