arm64 crashkernel fails to boot on acpi-only machines due to ACPI regions being no longer mapped as NOMAP

AKASHI Takahiro takahiro.akashi at linaro.org
Mon Jan 8 21:22:38 PST 2018

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 02:58:45PM +0800, Dave Young wrote:
> On 12/26/17 at 08:26am, Bhupesh Sharma wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 7:58 AM, AKASHI Takahiro
> > <takahiro.akashi at linaro.org> wrote:

> > > Thank you for the clarification.
> > > (It might be better to make numa off automatically if maxcpus == 0 (and 1?).)
> > >

> > Not sure if we can leave this to the distribution-specific kdump
> > scripts (as the crashkernel boot can be held up for sufficient time
> > and may appear stuck). The distribution scripts may be different (for
> > e.g. ubuntu and RHEL/fedora) across distributions and may have
> > different bootarg options.
>
> Personally I think distribution should take care of this param as for
> kdump.  But as AKASHI said it could be a issue for 1st kernel with
> nr_cpus=1 booting.  Problem is why we do not see this issue on other
> machines.

The issue won't be kdump-specific. Theoretically, it also takes place
when "mem=" is specified on numa.

Since we can avoid annoying messages by adding "numa=off", I'm reluctant to
suppress most of messages but the first. My suggestion here is to add some
notes in Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt regarding NUMA case.

Thanks,
Takahiro AKASHI