how to use kexec to jump back to the original kernel

Gioh Kim gurugio at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 00:54:51 PST 2018

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:06 PM, Bhupesh SHARMA <bhupesh.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:15 PM, Gioh Kim <gurugio at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry to bother you.
>>> I failed because I booted up wrong kernel without KEXEC_JUMP.
>>> I can jump to kdump kernel with booting a kernel with KEXEC_JUMP.
>>> And I can see "kexec_jump_back_entry=0x00000000000810d2" at kernel
>>> booting parameter.
>>> Now I can jump to kdump kernel and jump back to the original kernel.
>>>
>>> Can I ask just one more question?
>>> After jumping to kdump kernel, there is not /proc/vmcore file.
>>> I checked the kernel enabled CONFIG_PROC_VMCORE option.
>>> What kernel option should I enable to use /proc/vmcore?
>>> Or should I use another file instead /proc/vmcore?
>>>

>> I'm sorry but please let me ask one more question.
>>
>> I ran "kexec -e" command on kdump kernel, then it just rebooted the system.
>> I guess jumping to the original kernel means resuming the original
>> kernel as it was running.
>> Did I misunderstand?
>> Or my machine did not work correctly?
>
> Hello,
>
> I have replied in another thread (in reply to the documentation patch
> for kdump jump feature which you sent out today) about this in detail,
> but to capture my thoughts briefly here, I think you are confusing the
> 'kexec -l' or loading another kernel and 'kexec -p' or the kdump use
> cases.
>
> Can you please explain whether you are trying the jump feature with
> 'kexec -l' or 'kexec -p'.

Hello,

The another thread about documentation is for documentation.
So I explain the background here.

I'm working for the Cloud company providing qemu-based virtualization service.
When system has a problem and does not panic yet, we usually migrate
all guest VMs
and reboot the system.
Sometimes log files have a clue for the problem, but in many cases
there is nothing in log files
and it's difficult to investigate.

What I want to do is generating a kernel dump at the moment when the
system becomes unstable.
After migrating all VMs, the system would be clean and I would get no
clue for the problem.
So I'd like to generate the kernel dump before migrating VMs and
cleaning up the system.

Of course, when system paniced, I got kernel dump.
But it is the worst case because guest VMs also were killed.
It is the service failure.

I think I'm confused with system snapshot and kernel dump.
Nevertheless I need a solution to capture the system status without
panic or reboot.

> I remember trying the jump feature with 'kexec -p' some time back and
> it did not work for me at that time. Although I was able to use the
> jump feature with 'kexec -l' on the same machine.

'kexec -p' command jumps to kdump kernel on panic, doesn't it?
I'd like to jump to kdump kernel without panic or reboot, and get back
to the system kernel
and continue to service.
I think that is the jumping between the system kernel and kdump kernel.
If I misunderstand the meaning of the jump, I'll find another way.

Thank you again ;-)

--

Best regards,
Gioh Kim