kdump in upstream kexec-tools

Bhupesh Sharma bhsharma at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 03:50:00 PDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Russell King <rmk at armlinux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 10:20:08AM +0530, Bhupesh Sharma wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was working on improving documentation/structure of the upstream
>> kexec-tools and I was wondering what is the purpose of the 'kdump'
>> directory inside the kexec-tools.
>>
>> This kdump utility seems to cause confusion with the 'kdump' utility
>> present inside some distributions (for e.g.  '/usr/sbin/kdump' present
>> inside fedora) due to the same naming convention and so we should
>> populate/modify the kdump man page to indicate the same, so as to
>> avoid confusion.
>>
>> Presently here are the contents of this directory:
>>
>> # ls kdump/
>> kdump.8  kdump.c  Makefile
>>
>> - Out of these the kdump man documentation (kdump.8) is just a
>> placeholder as suggested by the man page documentation: "kdump - This
>> is just a placeholder until real man page has been written"
>>
>> - Looking at kdump.c :
>>
>> 1. I understand that this code is mainly used to read a crashdump from
>> memory. One can run the same using:
>>
>> # kdump <start_addr>
>>
>> where start_addr is basically the start address of the core dump
>> (which can also be represented via the 'elfcorehdr' environment
>> variable being passed to the crash kernel which represents the
>> physical address of the start of the ELF header)
>>
>> 2. This tool needs READ_ONLY access to /dev/mem (so we need to set
>> CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM configuration option accordingly).
>>
>> 3. The code thereafter reads (via mmap) and verifies the ELF header.
>> Subsequently it reads (via mmap) the program header.
>>
>> 4. Then we collect all the notes and write on STDOUT all the headers
>> and notes found in the crashdump collected from memory.
>>
>> So, as per my understanding even in absence of (more powerful) tools
>> like crash (or gdb), we can still go ahead and read the crashdump from
>> memory and display all the headers and notes present in the same on
>> standard serial out interface using this kdump utility.
>>
>> This is probably a good to have feature for systems which have very
>> simple/minimal rootfs (and I see that a few arm32 systems seem to use
>> the same as well) or are low on memory availability.
>>
>> Now, I wanted to confirm if the 'kdump' utility for reading crashdump
>> collected from memory is still needed (as the last commit is dated
>> back to 2016 and was done for arm32 systems). If yes, I can go ahead
>> and enhance the kdump man page to include the description given above
>> - so that it helps users understand how to run the tool.
>>
>> Please share your opinions.
>
> Firstly, please use:
>
>   git://git.armlinux.org.uk/~rmk/kexec-tools.git
>
> for ARM systems - this has some important fixes that aren't in the
> mainline repository.

Ok. Thanks for the pointer.

> I think the kdump tool is dead.  It only supports the 64-bit ELF
> format, and 32-bit ARM can either be 32-bit ELF or 64-bit ELF format
> coredumps, depending whether LPAE is enabled.  I've asked questions
> about this, and not got anywhere, so I now recommend not using that
> tool.

Sure, so if this is not really needed may be I can send out a patch to
remove the 'kdump/' directory from the upstream 'kexec-tools', as it
causes confusion when compared to similarly named distribution
specific kdump service/utilities.

@Simon - Please share if you see any other use-cases, that depend on
the 'kdump/' utility in the upstream 'kexec-tools'. AFAIK, this tool
is mainly used to obtain an ELF file which contains information about
the PT_NOTE and PT_LOAD segments within the crashdump read from the
memory.

For e.g I use this tool on my arm64 board as follows:

a. Read out the 'elfcorehdr' env variable passed to the crash kernel
and pass the same as an argument to the tool:

Assuming that the 'elfcorehdr' spans the range ->
0xffdf0000-0xffdf13ff, launch the tool as -

# kdump
Cannot find the start of the core dump

# kdump 0xffdf0000 >> output_elf_file

# file output_elf_file
output: ELF 64-bit LSB core file ARM aarch64, version 1 (SYSV)

# readelf -a --wide output_elf_file > read_output_elf_file

# less read_output_elf_file

ELF Header:
  Magic:   7f 45 4c 46 02 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  Class:                             ELF64