crash_kexec in oops_end() and panic()

Daniel Walker danielwa at cisco.com
Wed Jun 7 10:00:15 PDT 2017

On 06/07/2017 09:46 AM, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Daniel Walker <danielwa at cisco.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> These two paths seem to be duplicating each other. We have an issue
>> where we're using mtdoops to collect kernel logs on oops and panic, we
>> also have a crash kernel (which also collects these logs). mtdoops
>> saves logs differently for oops and panic, since oops isn't always
>> fatal it schedules a write to the flash. Since panic() is always fatal
>> is writes the logs immediately. In oops_end() the crash kernel runs
>> immediately while still signaling an OOPS condition to mtdoops. Since
>> mtdoops schedules a write to flash later, there is no later since the
>> crash kernel runs immediately, we end up without getting the logs
>>
>> I'm wondering what the significance is to have these two paths ?
>> oops_end() could just call into panic() or a modified
>> panic_with_regs() then we would collapse multiple paths. There is what
>> I would call a hack in kexec_should_crash() which checks if there are
>> crash_kexec_post_notifiers and it runs panic() if they exist. This
>> wouldn't be needed if we always called panic() . I also wonder if
>> there are other things in panic() which we should be running , but
>> don't get run because of these two paths.
> crash_kexec_post_notifiers is a horrible hack it is broken by design and
> no one should use it.
>
> Looking at the history and it still seems valid is the point of
> kexec_should_crash is so that crash_kexec could be called with the
> registers at the time of the crash.

This is why I mention panic_with_regs() , it's not that hard to just
send them into panic().

> The code that is run in kexec on panic path the less well it works.
> This has been a known fact for years.
>
> Please figure out how to depend on less code running in a broken
> kernel.  Trying to figure out how to run more code is not the solution
> to making the kernel reliable at the time of a crash.
>
> Eric

While this may be true, your cutting short an already existing panic()
path which has been around and is well used. I would think if it's good
enough for everyone else it should be good enough for the crash kernel path.

Daniel