makedumpfile: support for newer kernels [v4.9 onwards]

Abhishek Shah abhishek.shah at broadcom.com
Wed Jun 7 07:27:25 PDT 2017

Hi All,

I am using makedumpfile utility to compress the ramdump taken by kexec/kdump,
i.e. /proc/vmcore, on arm64 platform with kernel v4.12-rc3.

/proc/vmcore works fine with crash utility without passing it though
makedumpfile, but the file generated by makedumpfile is not getting
processed by crash utility; I am getting following error :

crash: seek error: kernel virtual address: ffff8008000c16a0  type:
"memory section"

I am using kernel v4.12-RC3; makedumpfile currently seems to support
kernel up to 4.8 as per documentation.
Is there plan to support newer kernel? can you provide some pointers
to modifications required for newer kernel support?

Regards,
Abhishek