makedumpfile: support for newer kernels [v4.9 onwards]

Atsushi Kumagai ats-kumagai at wm.jp.nec.com
Thu Jul 6 19:35:38 PDT 2017

Hello Abhishek,

Thanks for your investigation.

>I was finally able to root cause the issue that I was facing in the
>kdump compressed output
>generated by makedumpfile.
>
>While debugging "write_kdump_pages_and_bitmap_cyclic"; I came to know that
>somehow "info->max_mapnr" was modified/ reduced.
>
>Seeing further, I could see that the "get_mem_map" function at the end
>[if (!is_xen_memory())]
>is attempting to change "info->max_mapnr" value based on "mem=" option.
>-- in particular commit ebe2fa3a5c1e2bfac3778c0fbeca4287a934cc58.
>And in my kernel command line, "mem=2G" was present, as I intended to
>take dump of 2G RAM,
>resulting into reduced "info->max_mapnr".

Basically, this adjusting info->max_mapnr must be harmless since
it just intends to ignore unused memory regions.
Did you find out why adjusting info->max_mapnr causes the problem ?

>So, I commented out this portion and confirmed that "info->max_mapnr"
>remains same
>throughout. And I was able to get kdump compressed vmcore process-able
>by crash utility.

This sounds like there are some valid data beyond the adjusted info->max_mapnr,
is that true ?

Thanks,
Atsushi Kumagai