[Makedumpfile Patch 0/6] Fix --mem-usage /proc/kcore

Atsushi Kumagai ats-kumagai at wm.jp.nec.com
Sun Feb 12 22:26:47 PST 2017

Hello Pratyush,

>`makedumpfile --mem-usage /proc/kcore` has been broken after kaslr specific
>modifications. I have proposed a kernel patch [0] which has been ACKed by
>Andrew Morton and is available in next-2017020 now. Hopefully, it should be
>part of upstream in v4.10 release. This kernel patch helps to fix this
>issue for both the case of kaslr enabled and disabled.
>
>To seek other's feedback, I am sending makedumpfile patches before kernel
>patch hits upstream.

Thanks for taking care of this feature.
I understand that the problem is:

 - phys_base is necessary for VtoP, but:
   - SYMBOL(phys_base) is unavailable since /proc/kcore doesn't export VMCOREINFO.
   - get_phys_base() doesn't work well since current PT_LOAD doesn't have valid p_paddr.

The new makedumpfile with this patches can show unexpected behavior since it
will refer to invalid p_paddr(always 0). Of course, also current makedumpfile cannot
work if phys_base isn't 0.

If we don't have any way to get phys_base in 1st kernel environment,
I think we should disable this feature in older kernel (e.g. by checking kernel version).

Thanks,
Atsushi Kumagai