Kernel support for makedumpfile upcoming release

Atsushi Kumagai ats-kumagai at wm.jp.nec.com
Wed Mar 16 23:46:37 PDT 2016

Hello Louis,

>Hello,
>
>I see in the development branch for makedumpfile that the upcoming release plans
>to support kernels for up to 4.2
>
>Are there any plans to go any higher than that before the next release comes out
>? This way I can prepare a bit as our next release will come with a 4.4 kernel
>and it will also be made available in our previous LTS release.
>
>Kind regards,

makedumpfile v1.6.0 will support kernel 4.5, and it will be released in May.

I have updated the devel branch, now it includes the fixes for 4.4 and 4.5.
(please see the tag "Required for kernel X.Y")
The fix for 4.4 is necessary to exclude hugepages correctly in 4.4 and latter.
Moreover, the upstream kernel doesn't export the required VMCOREINFO yet,
you need to pull the patch below into your 4.4 kernel.

  https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/3/1/25

Thanks,
Atsushi Kumagai