"kernel version not supported" message is causing concerns

Louis Bouchard louis.bouchard at canonical.com
Tue Aug 30 06:29:04 PDT 2016

Hello,

Every so often, I get questions or bug report about the fact that makedumpfile
issues the following message when running :

   The kernel version is not supported.
   The created dumpfile may be incomplete.

While I understand the requirement for this message, it almost systematically is
understood by users as "makedumpfile is broken".

I would like to discuss the opportunity of changing the wording of this message
so it appears less confusing. Maybe something like :

Warning: makedumpfile has not been tested on this version of the kernel.
         If the created dumpfile is incomplete, you may need to upgrade to a
         newer version of makedumpfile.

I would be happy to propose a pull request for such a change if accepted.

Kind regards,

...Louis

--
Louis Bouchard
Software engineer, Cloud & Sustaining eng.