Makedumpfile and kernel support

Louis Bouchard louis.bouchard at canonical.com
Wed May 27 02:53:48 PDT 2015

Hello,

Le 22/05/2015 05:14, Atsushi Kumagai a écrit :
> Hello Louis,
>
>> - From time to time, on the distribution side, we get reports that makedumpfile
>> says the kernel version is not supported with the following message :
>>
>> "The kernel version is not supported.
>> The created dumpfile may be incomplete. "
>>
>> Depending on the kernel and makedumpfile versions, it can be either
>> disregarded or it requires fixing on the distribution. For instance, with
>> Kumagai's help, I backported the required commits so makedumpfile on Jessie
>> (1.5.3) would not complain about Jessie's kernels (3.16).
>>
>> While we can review each patch to identify those who have specific kernel
>> requirements, would it be possible to identify a way to highlight those
>> patches so they become easily identifiable for potential backport ?
>>
>> Maybe something like "[kernel]" in the git log or specific mention in the
>> commit log.  I would like to avoid going back to upstream to confirm that the
>> proper patches are being identified.
>>
>> Any comments, toughts, concerns ?
>
> How about inserting a label like "* Required for kernel X.YY"
> into the first line of the commit log ?
>
> It's better if contributors write it by themselves, otherwise
> I'll add it when merging.
>

> Thanks,
> Atsushi Kumagai

First of all, sorry for the late reply.

I think that this would be a very good solution. I just don't want to impose the
burden on you. So if people provide kernel specific patches, they should
identify to which kernel it relates to as it is proposed above.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kind regards,

...Louis

--
Louis Bouchard
Software engineer, Cloud & Sustaining eng.