Kexec -l works but kexec -p fails

debdutta debdutta at cdot.in
Thu Jul 2 04:45:10 PDT 2015

Hi,

 I am using linux-2.6.29-rt23 on freescale MPC8308 based board. It is a POWERPC 32 bit
processor.

 Physical memory = 512MB of which 128MB at 32MB is reserved for cashkernel

 I have cross-compiled kexec-tools 2.0.10 for this board with --without-zlib and
--without-xen options.

 I have 2 kernels:

 1. production kernel with CONFIG_KEXEC, CONFIG_SYSFS, CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO,
CONFIG_PROC_VMCORE enabled

 2. capture kernel with CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP, CONFIG_PROC_VMCORE, CONFIG_SYSFS,
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO set.

 when I give :

 kexec -l vmlinux

 kexec -e

 this successfully loads the crash kernel

 however when using the kexec -p option and triggering a crashdump  does not load the
same crashkernel.

The output that comes on screen is just these 2 lines:
SysRq : Trigger a crashdump
Bye!

 I am unable to find out what may be the reason. Please help.

Thanks,
 Debdutta

 ::Disclaimer::
 The contents of this email and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
 for the named recipient(s) only. It shall not attach any liability on C-DOT.
 and  may  not  necessarily  reflect  the  opinions  of  C-DOT.  Any  form of
 reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution
 and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of the
 author of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email
 in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately.