[RFD] efi assisted kdump

Dave Young dyoung at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 22:37:42 PST 2015

Hi, Matt

Thanks for the feedback.

On 01/26/15 at 04:39pm, Matt Fleming wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan, at 09:26:37PM, Dave Young wrote:
> >
> > There's several things I need to ask for help from EFI gurus to see if it is doable:
> >
> > * Make sure in case EFI warm reboot the memory of previous kernel can be retained.
>
> The only way to reserve memory across a reboot is with EFI capsules.

I know your capsules patchset, but I did not look into the details.

Do you means the old memory will be not reliable in case booting without capsules
even for warm reboot?

> > * How to determine if kernel is boot with EFI warm reboot in stub
>
> The presence of a capsule would indicate whether we were invoked from a
> crash handler.

Ok, another problem is for efi capsule handling, can we do it in efi stub, or I
in a efi application, which stage is the doable?

> > * What is the right way to pass informations from 1st kernel to 2nd kernel.
> >   Is it ok for saving something with efi variables?
>
> EFI capsules would the be most natural mechanism, but you could
> conceivably do it with EFI variables (there's an upper limit on the size
> of variable data, though).

Will think about it after I checking the capsule machanisms details.

> > * Other possible problems what I missed
>
> Support for runtime EFI capsules was rather spotty last time I looked.
> Things may have moved on, but it's definitely something to watch out
> for.
>
> There have been patches on linux-efi in recent months for making use of
> EFI capsules,
>
>   https://lkml.kernel.org/r/1412692886-25306-1-git-send-email-matt@console-pimps.org
>   https://lkml.kernel.org/r/1414984030-13859-1-git-send-email-hock.leong.kweh@intel.com
>
> I could take a look at resubmitting the first series above if that would
> be useful for doing kexec across a reset.

Thanks a lot. I will take a look at how capsules works firstly.
Dave