[RFD] efi assisted kdump

Dave Young dyoung at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 22:21:41 PST 2015

Hi, Petr

On 01/24/15 at 05:03pm, Petr Tesarik wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 21:26:37 +0800
> Dave Young <dyoung at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Kdump has several limitations currently such as kdump kernel reboot will bypass
> > device shutdown path so device drivers should reset during initialization.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> > ppc64 has a feature "firmware assisted kdump", see below documentation:
> > Documentation/powerpc/firmware-assisted-dump.txt
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> while I'm no expert on either UEFI or IBM POWER, I'd like to warn you
> that fadump (firmware-assisted dump) on PPC is not quite optimal in its
> current form. One of the things that have always irritated me are
> excessive RAM requirements.
>
> The problem is that there is only one reboot in fadump - after saving
> the dump, the secondary kernel discards the saved area and continues
> booting as usual. However, many kernel structuers must be already
> allocated at that point, e.g. the memmap array(s), but they are sized
> by the total RAM, not the limited amount available to the 2nd kernel.

Thanks for the comment.

I'm not sure I understand the RAM requirements you mentioned. I think you
are worrying about freeing oldmem to be used by 2nd kernel.

But we do not need to do same as power we can just reboot another time
as long as vmcore is saved. The main advantage is the capture kernel can
boot with all devices being reset.