[RFC] autokdump - automated kdump testsuite

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 05:09:59 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 10:53:55PM -0400, CAI Qian wrote:

[..]
> > Why not simply let the respective service on the host do this job and
> > test only makes sure that kdump service is running. It feels little
> > out of place that a test is generating custom initramfs.
> Because not every distro will have a kdump service like Fedora.

So which distro does not have a service? Do we know this or we are
assuming that distributions don't have a service to load/unload
kdump kernel.

[..]
> > makedumpfile will reduce the vmcore file size to few hundreds of mega
> > bytes on most of the systems. Especially, this is just a test, so
> > system will be lightly loaded and vmcore will be small after filtering.
> It probably actually have test cases to heavily loaded the memory before
> dumping.

Your original proposal does not take care of this case either. A test
case could be heavily used memory and if user does not have sufficient
memory to save core, so be it. That test will fail.