uniquely identifying KDUMP files that originate from QEMU

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 07:01:17 PST 2014

On 11/12/14 15:09, Dave Anderson wrote:

> [...]

Looks like a new flag needs to be negotiated with many stake-holders,
but a QEMU note could be included even in the kdump format (not only the
ELF format) freely, and tools that don't recognize it would simply
ignore it. (And other tools that generate custom notes probably won't
clash with it.)

Is that correct? Because if it is, then (a) I didn't know it, (b) we
only need an agreement between "crash" and qemu.

Is the kdump format specified somewhere (as in, a PDF or text file)? I'd
like to look into this option if possible.

Also, is there a command line tool that dumps metadata from a kdump
file? (Quite like your "crash" invocation above, but I believe crash
won't even start without a matching symbol file.)

Thank you
Laszlo