[Qemu-devel] uniquely identifying KDUMP files that originate from QEMU

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 06:10:10 PST 2014

On 11/12/14 14:26, Petr Tesarik wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 08:18:04 -0500
> Christopher Covington <cov at codeaurora.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11/12/2014 03:05 AM, Petr Tesarik wrote:

>>> It's smaller (data is compressed), and it contains a header with some
>>> useful information (e.g. the crashed kernel's version and release).

Another advantage is that all zero-filled pages are represented in the
kdump file by one shared zero page.

The difference in speed of dumping is stunning.

>> What if the ELF dumper used SHF_COMPRESSED or could dump an ELF.xz?
>
> Not the same thing. With KDUMP, each page is compressed separately, so
> if a utility like crash needs a page from the middle, it can find it
> and unpack it immediately. If we had an ELF.xz, then the whole file
> must be unpacked before it can be used. And unpacking a few terabytes
> takes ... a while. ;-)
>
>> How does QEMU figure out the kernel version information?
>
> Good question. Who can answer this part?

I can.

(Apologies for being a bit non-responsive, I'm swamped. I figured I'd
let the discussion unfold a bit between the kdump experts.)

So, QEMU doesn't figure out the kernel version information. It just
dumps the guest-physical frames, and that's it.

I linked the code before that populates the kdump header. The links and
function names are still visible above.

Thanks
Laszlo