How could we get rid of saved_max_pfn for calgary iommu?

Muli Ben-Yehuda muli at cs.technion.ac.il
Thu Mar 6 01:47:56 EST 2014

On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 01:36:17PM +0800, WANG Chao wrote:

> Hi, Muli
>
> saved_max_pfn is becoming a setback for kexec-tools. Ideally calgary
> could get rid of saved_max_pfn at all. But If this can't work, how
> about exporting a calgary tce table size to user space, so that
> kexec-tools can simply pass calgary=xxx cmdline to 2nd kernel.

As Jon noted, this code is used to so that the TCE table remains
consistent between the original and the kexec'd kernel. I see two
this bit of code becomes redundant, or we explicitly pass the original
table size (or the original max_pfn) to the kexec'd kernel. The first
option is more appealing, because I don't think anyone is actually
using the TCE table size -- we mostly added it for debugging the IOMMU
TCE code at the time -- but since I don't have a Calgary machine
anymore, I don't have any way to test it. The second option is uglier
but would be fully backward-compatible and less likely to break
things. Given that very few people are likely running the latest
upstream kernel on Calgary/CalIOC2 machines, I'm inclined towards the
first option.

> BTW MAINTAINERS file still uses your old email, please update
> accordingly.

I think you are the first person to actually look up the Calgary
maintainers in the last few years :-)

Cheers,
Muli