kexec/kdump fails to load in ELF symbol relocation on ppc64 arch

Laurent Dufour ldufour at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 22 06:54:29 PDT 2014

On 22/07/2014 12:42, WANG Chao wrote:
> Hi, Laurent
>
> With gcc -fexceptions, kexec/kdump fails to load:
>
>  # kexec -p /boot/vmlinuz
>  Warning: append= option is not passed. Using the first kernel root partition
>  REL24 -157778404 out of range!

Hi Chao,

I think the root cause of the issue is due to an unresolved symbol in
the purgatory. The '_Unwind_Resume' symbol mentioned in the log is
generated by GCC which assumes it will find it somewhere when linking
with the according shared library.
The purgatory is not linked with any library and thus should not be
instrumented as the -fexecptions GCC's option does.
This should be similar to the fix I've done through the commit
7d33c8933ebf where the stack protection mechanism was introducing
unresolved symbols.

I'll look for a patch which is disabling the GCC -fexceptions option
when building the purgatory.

Laurent.