More frequent kexec-tools releases

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 11:52:45 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:46:33AM -0700, Khalid Aziz wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 13:40 -0500, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> > I am wondering if there is any interest in more frequent releases of
> > kexec-tools. Say every 3 months or every 6 months.
>
> Yes, that will be good. I maintain the kexec-tools package for Debian
> and I often find myself backporting fixes from git into Debian package
> as users find bugs that are already fixed in upstream. Being able to
> update the entire package to new release with all accumulated bugfixes
> periodically will be helpful.

Agreed. If we have more frequent releases of kexec-tools, then
distributions can easily rebase to newer releases more frequently and
that will reduce the overhead of cherry-picking and backporting fixes.

Also it allows distribution users to test new features sooner. For example,
kexec support on EFI systems. In worst case, a distribution user will have
to wait for an year or more before a release happens and user can test this
feature. And this is true for any feature which is introduced in kexec-tools.