Tool for creating full vmcore

Corey Minyard minyard at acm.org
Thu Feb 13 11:45:16 EST 2014

On 02/13/2014 07:52 AM, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> Oops, forgot to cc kexec list. Doing it now.
Yeah, I forgot that, too.

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:51:53AM -0500, Vivek Goyal wrote:
>> CCing kexec list. Please don't drop the list from the conversation.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 04:51:07PM -0600, Corey Minyard wrote:
>>> Well, I would like to use crash, but it does not support cross debugging
>>> and everything we do is cross development.
>> Hmm.., I will let Dave Anderson comment on that.

Dave has already commented on it several times.  It's not going to happen.

>>> I'm not familiar with filtered core files, but it would be easy enough to
>>> just dump kernel memory.  It's not a big deal for what I do, we don't deal
>>> with huge machines.  I suppose that's coming, though.
>> Well, makedumpfile utility does the kernel filtering and that utility has
>> been growing over time. So for a specific use case it might be trivial but
>> when you try to make it generic, we end up the size of makedumpfile.
>>
>> So this is like trying to regenerate kcore file out of vmcore where
>> there are ELF headers for vmalloc and vmemmap areas?

Basically, that's it.  It walks the page tables and generates an ELF
file from that, so it will pick up anything in the page tables.  It's
theoretically possible to walk user page tables, too.  That means
there's arch-specific code.  It's pretty trivial for everything but
MIPS, which implements page tables in software and has too many options.

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier that i386 is not tested yet.  x86_64,
ARM, and MIPS are tested.  I need to get to i386 soon.

>> Given the fact that this tool is specifically generating kcore, I guess
>> one possile name for the tool could be vmcore-kcore.

Yeah, I've been leaning somewhere in that direction for the name.

>> I saw some references to /dev/oldmem in git. /dev/oldmem has been
>> deprecated, so you can remove all the code dealing with that and
>> just rely on /proc/vmcore being there.

Yes, I found that out and removed it a while ago.  Makes sense.

>> I guess if code is small enough, then it might be useful to
>> keep it in a direcotry say kexec-tools/vmcore-kcore. But if it turns
>> out to be big, it might be better to maintain it as a separate project
>> (like makedumpfile).

Yeah, it's a little big, but not huge.  Most of the code is the elf
part, which is in it's own file and could be a separate library.  I'm
fine either way.  It will get bigger as new arch-specific code is added.

Thanks,

-corey