Tool for creating full vmcore

Louis Bouchard louis.bouchard at canonical.com
Thu Feb 13 04:26:16 EST 2014

Hello,

Le 12/02/2014 21:21, Corey Minyard a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I've written a tool that takes an coredump of physical kernel memory and
> converts it to a coredump of virtual kernel memory that can be directly
> used by gdb to debug a kernel.
>
> I was trying to use /proc/vmcore, but that did not include any of
> vmalloc memory or vmemmap, which made it kind of useless.  I thought
> about adding all that to the vmcore, but that didn't seem like the
> proper way to do things.
>
> The tool is at https://github.com/cminyard/kdump-tool

Aside from the other opinions already expressed, I think that the name collision
is unfortunate and will cause problems.

kdump-tools is all over Debian and Ubuntu. I would suggest to rename your
project to something else.

Kind regards,

...Louis

--
Louis Bouchard
Software engineer, Cloud & Sustaining eng.