Reserved memory estimation for crashkernel=

Louis Bouchard louis.bouchard at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 10 05:23:18 EST 2014

Hello,

I would be interested to know if there is a semi-accurate way to evaluate the
amount of memory that needs to be reserved and passed to the crashkernel=
parameter ?

I understand that it is very specific to the environment (system configuration,
kernel options, etc) but if we could at least know how much memory will be
required by makedumpfile it would be a good start.

Maybe we can imagine an enhancement to makedumpfile to have it evaluate a value
that could provide some kind of estimate.

TIA,

Kind regards,

...Louis
--