[BUG] [compressed kdump / SADUMP] makedumpfile header truncation error

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Sep 18 10:17:50 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 09/17/2013 09:23 PM, Dave Anderson wrote:

Adding the aligned(8) attribute to the kdump_sub_header would break
compatibility with all of the old/current 32-bit x86 dumpfiles that
have it aligned on an 4-byte boundary.  How do you propose working
around that?

> Or we can go further, redefine whole structure and set all fields with
> specific bit width.
>
> struct kdump_sub_header {
>          uint64_t	phys_base;
>          int32_t		dump_level;
>          int32_t		split;
>          uint64_t	start_pfn;
>          uint64_t	end_pfn;
>          uint64_t	offset_vmcoreinfo;
>          uint64_t	size_vmcoreinfo;
>          uint64_t	offset_note;
>          uint64_t	size_note;
>          uint64_t	offset_eraseinfo;
>          uint64_t	size_eraseinfo;
> };
>
> I have checked the code of crash utility, it shouldn't affect too much,
> only in diskdump.c and diskdump.h.
>
> > So for that anomoly, crash has to support a kdump_sub_header_ARM_target
> > structure that has a pad integer after the end_pfn variable.

> >> Yes, I would like to have a new header for kdump-compressed format. But
> >> I'm not sure how much code will be affected in makedumpfile and crash utility.
> >> I'm still under investigating, any ideas would be appreciated.
> >
> > The challenging part will be the requirement to maintain backwards-compatibility,
> > at least in the crash utility.  And backwards-compatibility would also be required
> > in makedumpfile, right?  For example, if you want to re-filter an older compressed
> > kdump.
> >

> It's not a big deal, we can check the header_version to decide treat it
> as traditional format or new format.
> We can preserve the current structures as kdump_sub_header_v5 ,
> kdump_sub_header_v5, etc... in both makedumpfile and crash utility.

OK, but I still don't see how to avoid carrying two versions of kdump_sub_header_v5
to handle the current ARM-on-x86 support.  Or doing some kind of similar kludge...

Supporting both a kdump_sub_header and a kdump_sub_header_v5 is going to make
read_dump_header() a bit tricky.  I suppose after reading the raw kdump_sub_header
block (of either type), if it's v5 or less you could copy the individual fields
from the kdump_sub_header_v5 to the new kdump_sub_header before referencing them?

> > But if -- as has been done so far -- an increment of the header_version in the
> > disk_dump_header to signal an additional field in the kdump_sub_header would be
> > trivial to implement.
>
> Yes, this approach is more simpler, but the drawback is we have to add a
> new 64bit max_mapnr_64 to disk_dump_header, then we will have two
> max_mapnr* fields, not very nice. And when we add more platforms, we
> still have to take care of the bit width and alignment.
> Should we fix it in this version or just leave it as it used to be?

Note that I suggested above that the 64-bit max_mapnr be added to
the kdump_sub_header, so that the disk_dump_header itself can remain
backwards-compatible.

Dave