/proc/vmcore mmap() failure issue

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Nov 20 01:43:40 EST 2013

(2013/11/20 14:27), Atsushi Kumagai wrote:
> On 2013/11/19 18:56:21, kexec <kexec-bounces at lists.infradead.org> wrote:
>> (2013/11/18 9:51), Atsushi Kumagai wrote:

>>> It sounds reasonable also to me.

>>> I'll send a patch to fix this soon.
>>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> BTW, now the following patch has been applied on top of makedumpfile in kexec-tools package on fedora in order to avoid the issue.
>>
>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kexec/2013-November/000254.html
>>
>> I remember prototype version of mmap patch implemented a kind of --no-mmap option and we could use it to disable mmap() use and use read() instead, I think which is useful when we face this kind of issue.
>
> How about this fail back structure instead of such an extra option ?

I think this logic is useful and should be merged together in this fix.

However, I still think a kind of --no-mmap option is needed. There could happen
worse case due to mmap() in the future on some system, of course, I don't know
what the system actually is, but at least it must be behaving differently from
typical systems... Then, option is more flexible than patching.

It would also be useful for debugging use. read() is simpler than mmap(), and
read() is basic in the sense that initially makedumpfile didn't use mmap().
There might be a situation where we want to avoid using mmap(); for example,
when makedumpfile works badly and it looks like caused by mmap() code in kernel
code; Then, we would want to see if makedumpfile works well by disabling mmap(),

--
Thanks.
HATAYAMA, Daisuke