kexec support for uImage multi-files?

Mattias Wallin mattias.ml.wallin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 11:25:23 EDT 2013

Hi,
I would like to reboot my embedded arm system using kexec.
The uImage I want to load is a multi-file of type IH_TYPE_MULTI and
contains two images. The first image contain a zImage and the second a
rootfs.
(Added my mkimage -l output at the bottom for more details).

When looking at the code and searching the maillinglist I don't find
support for multi-file uImage of type IH_TYPE_MULTI. Is this correct?
What is the background?
No requests or is it difficult to implement generic support for it?
Is support for it something you have considered?

(To learn more I have made changes in the kexec source code and got it
working but it is a hack and hardcoded for my multi image)

---8<---
$ mkimage -l uImage-3.0-cs-armv4l-multi
Image Name:   Linux-3.0.36-cs-armv4l-local
Created:      Tue Mar 12 07:57:13 2013
Image Type:   ARM Linux Multi-File Image (uncompressed)
Data Size:    4644154 Bytes = 4535.31 kB = 4.43 MB
Load Address: 20008000
Entry Point:  20008000
Contents:
   Image 0: 2107172 Bytes = 2057.79 kB = 2.01 MB
   Image 1: 2536970 Bytes = 2477.51 kB = 2.42 MB
On target I get:
$ kexec -d --atags -l /mnt/media/1/uImage-3.0-cs-armv4l-multi
uImage type 4 unsupported
---8<---

Best Regards,
Mattias Wallin