makefumpfile tool to estimate vmcore file size

Baoquan He bhe at redhat.com
Thu Aug 1 23:29:06 EDT 2013

Hi Atsushi,

Sorry to reply so late.
By discussing with customer, their idea is below:

*******************************
The idea about a tool like this is that it works in the 1st kernel and
that it will tell you how big the vmcore will be based on what filtering
level and/or compression selected in kdump.conf. Our customer wrote a perl
script to demonstrate this, I have attached it as attachment. This perl
script only looks at uncompressed and dumplevel 31 - in the 1st kernel.
Being told about the dump size when in the 2nd (kdump/kexec kernel) is
somewhat pointless as you are not then in a position to adjust the
destination filesystem to accommodate the vmcore size should you need to.
This is proactively looking at what size is required for a vmcore.

If the kdump.conf says "filter level 11, compress", a tool to estimate
the vmcore size should take that into account, gauge what pages would
be included in that, and roughly what size that would equate to
compressed. The problem is that this is quite dynamic, so the perl
script deliberately only looks at filter level 31 (trying to work the
rest out was too hard for me to do).

Per discussion with customer, I think the tool is expected to work in
1st kernel. With configuration file which specify the fileter level and
compression algorithm, a rough vmcore size can be given. Since they
maybe have thousands of servers, an estimated vmcore size can be very
helpful to refer to.

Baoquan
Thanks a lot