makedumpfile 1.5.0 takes much more time to dump

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Sun Sep 23 20:51:12 EDT 2012

From: Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: makedumpfile 1.5.0 takes much more time to dump
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:32:32 -0400

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 09:23:57AM +0900, HATAYAMA Daisuke wrote:
>> From: Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com>
>> Subject: makedumpfile 1.5.0 takes much more time to dump
>> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:06:34 -0400
>>
>> > Hi Atsushi san,
>> >
>> > We tried makedumpfile 1.5.0 on a 1TB machine and it seems to regress
>> > badly. We reserved 192MB of memory and following are test results.
>> >
>> > #1. makedumpfile-1.4.2 -E --message-level 1 -d 31
>> > real     3m47.520s
>> > user     0m56.543s
>> > sys	 2m41.631s
>> >
>> > #2. makedumpfile-1.5.0 -E --message-level 1 -d 31
>> > real     52m25.262s
>> > user     32m51.310s
>> > sys	 18m53.265s
>> >
>> > #3. makedumpfile-1.4.2 -c --message-level 1 -d 31
>> > real     8m49.107s
>> > user     4m34.180s
>> > sys	 4m8.691s
>> >
>> > #4. makedumpfile-1.5.0 -c --message-level 1 -d 31
>> > real     46m48.985s
>> > user     29m35.203s
>> > sys	 16m43.149s
>> >

>> Hello Vivek,
>>
>> On v1.5.0 we cannot filter free pages in constant space becuase we
>> have yet to test it. Instead, the existing method is used here, which
>> repeats walking on a whole page frames the number of cycles times.
>>
>> As Kumagai-san explains, the number of cycles can be calculated by the
>> following expression:
>>
>>   N = physical memory size / (page size * bit per byte(8) * BUFSIZE_CYCLIC)
>>
>> So,
>>
>>   N = 2TB / (4KB * 8 * 1MB) = 64 cycles.
>>
>> I guess on this environment, it took about 50 seconds to filter free
>> pages in one cycle.
>
> Ok, so once we have your walking through page struct patches in, hopefully
> this problem will be gone?

Yes, then free page filtering is integrated in other mem_map array
logics. You can see how it takes from the following message.

Excluding unnecessary pages        : [100 %] STEP [Excluding unnecessary pages] : 0.204574 seconds

New logic takes equal to or quicker than the total time indicated by
the above kind of messages now.

> If that's going to take time, can we make using of new logic conditional
> on a command line option. So that user has the option of using old
> logic.

Kumagai-san should decide this.

BTW, Kumagai-san, in what version do you plan release of this new
mem_map logic? Around v1.5.2? I want to re-send a new patch set to
which I add small changes and comments for maintainability.

Thanks.
HATAYAMA, Daisuke