Kdump with signed images

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Fri Nov 2 10:36:03 EDT 2012

On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 07:59:15PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> Sure, if you can ensure that. You'll need to figure out how to get the
> >> build system to sign the userspace binaries and you'll need to ensure
> >> that they're statically linked and don't dlopen anything (including the
> >> nsswitch modules), but otherwise that should work.
> >>

> > [ CC peter jones ]
> >
> > Ok, so even if we build kexec-tools statically with glibc, we have the
> > issue of name service switch modules. glibc will still do dlopen on
> > these modules. So what are options now.
> >
> > - Sign glibc and associated shared libraries. Do not allow unsigned
> >   shared library to dynamically link with signed executable.
> >
> > - Peter mentioned that work with uClibc for kexec-tools.
> >
> > I personally think that however hard it is but first option sounds like
> > a long term solution. We might have more user space processes which
> > we might have to trust a generic solution will help with that. For example,
> > we might have to sign and trust qemu at some point of time.
> >
> > Are there other ways of handing glibc issue?
> >

> Have you seen http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/FAQ - "Even statically
> linked programs need some shared libraries which is not acceptable for
> me. What can I do?" Probably, worth trying.

Yes I have seen this. IIUC, it says that build libc with -enable-static-nss
and then individual programs need to statically build against the nss
modules program will use.

I think building libc with -enable-static-nss part will be unacceptable
for general server as other programs would like to make use of the
existing nss functionality.