Kdump with signed images

Khalid Aziz khalid at gonehiking.org
Thu Nov 1 11:10:56 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-01 at 14:57 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 10:51:49AM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
>
> > And if one wants only /sbin/kexec to call it, then just sign that
> > one so no other executable will be able to call kexec_load(). Though
> > I don't think that's the requirement here. Requirement is that only
> > trusted executables should be able to call kexec_load().
>
> Where "trusted executables" means "signed by a key that's present in the
> system firmware or in the kernel that's signed with a key that's present
> in the system firmware", sure.

This is starting to sound too restrictive (even though I understand the
rationale behind the restrictions). Does this allow for a custom
userspace application that among other things also can kexec_load() a
new kernel and boot it, for example a customer unique health monitoring
app that reboots the system if things are not looking right on the
running system? How would a customer go about getting that userspace
binary signed and re-signed every time they update their app? There is
the option of turning the whole SecureBoot thing off for a system like
that but let us assume customer wants to leave that on or does not have
the option to turn it off?

--
Khalid