[tip:x86/debug] x86/kdump: No need to disable ioapic/ lapic in crash path

Yinghai Lu yinghai at kernel.org
Mon Feb 13 11:51:00 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Eric W. Biederman
<ebiederm at xmission.com> wrote:
> Yinghai Lu <yinghai at kernel.org> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Eric W. Biederman
>> <ebiederm at xmission.com> wrote:

>>> It sounds like there is a bug in ioapic initialization in the context of
>>> VT-d.  Where do you fail?
>>>
>> before get debug print out from second kernel, the system get reset.
>
> Ouch.
>
> Don can you work with with Yinghai to figure out what is different
> between your test configuration and his?
>
> YH did you have early printk enabled?

yes.

I always have "console=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8" appended.

also i have local patches that print info from
arch/x86/boot/compressed/misc.c::decompress_kernel()
and
arch/x86/kernel/head64.c::x86_64_start_kernel()

> YH Did I understand you properly that things work if you don't enable
> VT-d?

that is default setting for BIOS and OS.

will check if disable that will help.

> By VT-d are you referring to interrupt remapping?

yes, include interrupt rempapping and dma remapping.

> For anyone watching.  The premise of this patch was that we can boot
> the kernel without resorting to legacy tricks that require us to
> put the interrupt controllers in PIT mode.
>
> Apparently there is some weird corner case that YH can reproduce that
> Don did not have in his test set that YH does that causes things to
> fail.
>
> I really don't see any likely candidates when looking at the code.  The
> most I can see is some code that we don't run when interrupt remapping
> is enabled in disable_IO_APIC.
>
> So I suspect we have a bug in our apic initialization somewhere, but
> apic initialization should happen after printk are enabled.  Or at least
> after early printks so the reset YH is reporting doesn't make much sense.

will try Don's first version patch that only removing disable_IO_APIC.

Yinghai