[RFC] makedumpfile-1.5.1 RC

Atsushi Kumagai kumagai-atsushi at mxc.nes.nec.co.jp
Fri Dec 7 00:26:46 EST 2012

Hello Lisa,

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 06:31:39 -0700
Lisa Mitchell <lisa.mitchell at hp.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 05:14 -0700, Lisa Mitchell wrote:
>

> > I tested this makedumpfile v1.5.1-rc on a 4 TB DL980, on 2.6.32 based
> > kernel, and got good results. With crashkernel=256M, and default
> > settings (i.e. no cyclic buffer option selected), the dump successfully
> > completed in about 2 hours, 40 minutes, and then I specified a cyclic
> > buffer size of 48 M, and the dump completed in the same time, no
> > measurable differences within the accuracy of our measurements.
> >
> > We are still evaluating perfomance data, and don't have very precise
> > measurements here for comparisons, but the results look promising so
> > far.
> >
> > Lisa Mitchell
>
> Update:
>
>  I did another test over the last few days that was a better apples-to-
> apples comparison, contrasting the performance of makedumpfile 1.4  with
> makedumpfile v1.5.1-rc on a RHEL 6.3 system with 4 TB of memory.

Thanks for your measurement.
It's very helpful because I can't get a chance to use such a large memory
machine.

> Earlier I had not taken good comparable measurements of the dump times,
> from the exact same machine configuration comparisons of the timing
> differences between the two makedumpfiles.  I had noted that
> makedumpfile 1.5.1-rc seemed a performance improvemnt over makedumpfile
> v1.5.0 results seen earlier.
>
> Unfortunately this weekend, the results showed a significant performance
> regression still with makedumpfile v1.5.1-rc compared to makedumpfile
> 1.4
>
> This time my performance measurements were based on comparing the file
> system timestamps in the /var/crash directory, showing the difference
> from when the crash directory was created by makedumpfile, to the
> timestamp on the vmcore file, to show when the copy of the memory to
> this file was complete.
>
> 1. Baseline:  On the 4 TB DL980, with the RHEL 6.3 installation,(2.6.32
> based kernel) with a crashkernel size of 512M or 384M  (both big enough
> to contain the 256M bit map required, plus the kernel).The makedumpfile
> command line was the same for both tests: " -c --message-level 1 -d 31"
> The timestamps shown for the dump copy were:
>
> # cd /var/crash
> # ls
> 127.0.0.1-2012-11-30-15:28:22
> # cd 127.0.0.1-2012-11-30-15:28:22
> #ls -al 127.0.0.1-2012-11-30-15:28:22
> total 10739980^M
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root        4096 Nov 30 17:07 .^M
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root        4096 Nov 30 15:28 ..^M
> -rw-------. 1 root root 10997727069 Nov 30 17:07 vmcore
>
> >From the time stamps above the dump started at 15:28, completed at
> 17:07, the dump time was 1 hour, 41 minutes.
>
> 2. Makedumpfile-v1.5.1-rc on the same system configuration as (1.)
> above, but with crashkernel size set to 256 M to insure the use of the
> cyclic buffer feature to fit in smaller crashkernel space.  The same
> makedumpfile command line of "-c --message-level 1 -d 31" was used.
>
> #cd /var/crash
> # ls -al
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x.  3 root root 4096 Nov 30 23:25 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 22 root root 4096 Nov 30 08:41 ..
> drwxr-xr-x.  2 root root 4096 Dec  1 02:05 127.0.0.1-2012-11-30-23:25:20
>
> #ls -al *
> total 10734932
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root        4096 Dec  1 02:05 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root        4096 Nov 30 23:25 ..
> -rw-------. 1 root root 10992554141 Dec  1 02:05 vmcore
>
> >From the timestamps above, the dump started at 23:25 and completed at
> 2:05 after midnight, so the total dump time was 2 hours and 40 minutes.
>
> So for this 4 TB system, in this test, the dump write phase took 1 hour
> longer for makedumpfile-v1.5.1-rc, versus makedumpfile v1.4. This time
> seems dominated by the dump filtering activity, assuming the  copy to
> disk times should have been the same, though I don't have a good
> breakdown.

As you may understand, the number of cycle is two (or larger) in your
test (2.). And it seems that you used free_list logic because you
specified neither -x vmlinux option nor -i vmcoreinfo_text_file option.
(Please see release note for how to use mem_map array logic.)

  http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2012-December/007460.html

This combination means that redundant scans was done in your test,
I think makedumpfile-v1.5.1-rc couldn't show the best performance we expected.

So, could you do the same test with v1.5.1-GA (but, the logic isn't different
from rc) and -i vmcoreinfo_text_file option ? We should see its result and
discuss it.

In addition, you need to include vmcoreinfo_text_file in initramfs in order
to use -i option. If you have RedHat OS, you can refer to /sbin/mkdumprd
to know how to do it.

Thanks
Atushi Kumagai