makedumpfile memory usage grows with system memory size

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Mon Apr 9 19:58:24 EDT 2012

From: Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: makedumpfile memory usage grows with system memory size
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 14:57:28 -0400

> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 06:29:40PM +0900, HATAYAMA Daisuke wrote:
>
> [..]
>> I agree. On the other hand, there is one more thing to consider. The
>> value of order is in private member of the page descripter. Now
>> there's no information for private member in VMCOREINFO. If we choose
>> this method and delete the current one, it's necessary to prepare
>> vmlinux file for old kernels.
>
> What information do you need to access "private" member of "struct page".
> offset? Can't we extend VMCOREINFO to export this info too?

Yes, I mean offset of private member in page structure. The member
contains order of the buddy. Extending VMCOREINFO is easy, but we
cannot do that for old kernels, for which vmlinux is needed
separately.

This might be the same as what Kumagai-san says he doesn' want to
change behaviour on kernel versions.

Thanks.
HATAYAMA, Daisuke