[Patch 1/4][kernel][slimdump] Add new elf-note of type NT_NOCOREDUMP to capture slimdump

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Mon Oct 3 06:10:43 EDT 2011

"K.Prasad" <prasad at linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> There are certain types of crashes induced by faulty hardware in which
> capturing crashing kernel's memory (through kdump) makes no sense (or sometimes
> dangerous).
>
> A case in point, is unrecoverable memory errors (resulting in fatal machine
> check exceptions) in which reading from the faulty memory location from the
> kexec'ed kernel will cause double fault and system reset (leaving no
> information for the user).

It does make plenty of sense, and I capture the all of the time.
It totally doesn't make sense to do this in the kernel when we can
filter this from userspace just fine.

Nacked-by: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm at xmission.com>

I thought we already had this discussion.  Why is this silliness coming
back?

I especially dislike the notion of hardcoding policy in the kernel like this.

Eric