In place kexec

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jul 30 16:42:10 EDT 2010

On 07/30/2010 09:53 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 21:41 -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> There isn't a bus master shut off at the core level.
>
> Effectively, there is if you have an IOMMU.

With the "core level" I meant Linux kernel code, as opposed to hardware
level which is slightly different; I meant it would make sense to at
least set the bus master control bit (PCI_COMMAND_MASTER) to zero before
kexec.

I also agree that reboot and kexec are different; the requirements for
kexec are really much more strict.

	-hpa