bzip2-compressed bzimage support?

Joey Korkames joey+lists at kidfixit.com
Wed Jan 20 11:00:10 EST 2010

Perhaps I spoke too soon:

xen2:~# grep -rn KEXEC /boot/debian/config-2.6.32-trunk-amd64
378:CONFIG_KEXEC=y
380:# CONFIG_KEXEC_JUMP is not set

I figure that there should be an ELF hint indicating if a kernel is
kexec-able so that kexec-tools can emit a specific (and useful) error
message if given an unsuitable kernel. But this doesn't appear to be an
unsuitable kernel based on the .config.

And just for good measure, it also appears to be a plain gzip bzImage.

xen2:~# grep -rn -E 'BZIP|GZIP|LZMA' /boot/debian/config-2.6.32-trunk-amd64
68:CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_GZIP=y
69:CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_BZIP2=y
70:CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_LZMA=y
71:CONFIG_KERNEL_GZIP=y
72:# CONFIG_KERNEL_BZIP2 is not set
73:# CONFIG_KERNEL_LZMA is not set
125:CONFIG_RD_GZIP=y
126:CONFIG_RD_BZIP2=y
127:CONFIG_RD_LZMA=y
4682:CONFIG_DECOMPRESS_GZIP=y
4683:CONFIG_DECOMPRESS_BZIP2=y
4684:CONFIG_DECOMPRESS_LZMA=y

Now, if it doesn't matter how the bzImage is compressed, then what are the
recent lzma commits to kexec-tools.git for?

Thanks for reading
Joey